Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Sewing more for the diaper Bag

This is a changing pad I made, a wet bag I bought and a pouch I improved.

    I have a few different changing pads that I've used in the past but have not liked any of them. They all were plastic and when you'd put a new baby on them it was cold and they screamed! Plus, if they wet which they often do, the pee runs off the changing pad onto your bed or the floor and soaks them in the process. kinda pointless in my opinion.  I found this pattern online: http://www.etsy.com/listing/91296386/pdf-ebook-baby-changing-mat-little-buns   but decided to use this free pattern instead: http://cookieandclaire.blogspot.com/2011/02/diaper-changing-pad-tutorial.html 

          My changing pad turned out pretty nice, except it's ultra thick. I added a layer of all cotton batting that was super thin thinking it wouldn't really make a difference and I swear someone used it in their changing pads they sell online.  Now when I roll it up in the bag it takes up a lot of room.  oh well! it's cute and comfy! :)

          The wet bag I bought online and am so glad I did. With my first daughter I had no such thing and I remember the blowouts and the smelly clothes that she constantly threw up on. The acid reflux problem was gross!!! Anyway, the clothes just ended up getting thrown in my bag getting everything stinky.  This wet bag was bought here: http://www.etsy.com/shop/JodysDesigns?ref=seller_info   She's awesome to work with and even sold me her left over fabric to make the chaning pad with. Why didn't I sew one myself you ask? well, I've never worked with waterproof material like is used in this bag and I'd have to buy a lot of the material to make one little bag. in my mind at the time, it wasn't worth it.

         The pouch was also purchased from:   http://www.etsy.com/shop/PillowSewCute    again, at the time it made sense to buy this bag because I didn't want to buy a whole bunch of fabric to make it. However when I recieved it I was totally disappointed! There was no interfacing used, nothing to sturdy the bag at all. The plastic is really thick and it was just an awkward bag.  I ended up taking it apart, adding interfacing and adding binding along the top of the plastic. I felt like I made a stupid choice in purchasing this bag and could have done a way better job myself. again, oh well. Lesson learned.

       I also bought cute yellow flannel and white flannel to make a blanket for our new girl. All of the blankets used on my first daughter are old and not soft anymore.  Because of her acid reflux, we washed blankets A LOT! I now need to make a bunch more, or just buy some cheap ones from walmart! :)