Sunday, October 9, 2011

Mermaid or Under The Sea Birthday

a cheap, fun way to make a birthday special!
       I took streamers and taped them to the walls to look like water, then used green streamers to make seaweed. I cut out fish shapes, using a cookie cutter and taped them to the wall. I also found online a digital file you can buy of mermaids and underwater creatures. I just saved the picture advertising the file and blew them up in picasa. they were a LITTLE blurry , but it worked out fine! I then hung streamers from the light and made a mobile. cut out ciricles for the mermaids to get taped to and threaded them to the light. it took me all day, but it was worth it. :) I probably shouldn't say how I did that, but I can't find it in me to spend a fortune on a little party like this.

    I also made sugar cookies in fish shapes and put them on the blue table cloth and had some shredded green and blue paper on the center. I also sprinkled candy .. CHOCOLATE rocks found at walmart on the table.
Ok, so i'm not the greatest froster in the world! it's hard! :) i'm a sewer, remember!


This cake was made using mini muffin tin for the eyes, cupcakes for the claws, and my pyrex baking bowl for the body. I used licorice for the legs and arms and candy rocks for the gravel. I took cardboard and wrapped in in foil first, then taped the little paper cutout I got at Joann's for the water and then put wax paper over the whole thing. The eyeballs are ... what are those called? the minty chocolate things. ugh... sorry. I can't think right now. LONG DAY! I just realized that his eye looks bloodshot, gross! The reason I chose a crab instead of a mermaid cake, is because I don't know how often it's ever been done, and she has a thing for crabs lately! She loves them! Mermaids eat crab right? :)
    I even managed to find this wrapping paper at my grocery store of all places. I just came across it on accident.

      I found this clumsy Crab book at halmark a while ago, and bought it new off ebay for a fraction of the price. it has beautiful illustrations and has a cute, but simple story. My husband calls it predictable. I still think it's adorable! He learns that even though he has huge claws, they can be useful. The caleb the crab was found on amazon I think and it clicks like he is walking along something. she loves it!
      All in all, it was a great birthday and i'm happy my little girl had a fun day! :) I can't believe she is already 2!