Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Mommy and Me


2 dresses and a skirt in 2 days. Phew!
                 I saw this fabric and fell in love. I don't really know why because I've never been a fan of this mustardy yellow color.  it just looks awesome with the grey though and the pretty feminine flowers drew me in. I hate sewing for myself because i'm such a mean judge of my own stuff and of the way it looks on me when i'm done. Needless to say, i'm somewhat disappointed in the way the skirt turned out, but that's just me being me.

            Yesterday afternoon I started sewing on the skirt and finished it first thing this morning.  I fell in love with this skirt on etsy and HAD to have one, but just couldn't spend that on a skirt I could make myself.  that sounds horrible, and I totally hate when people do that to me, but I sew. I sew everything, so I just hate having someone else do it for me.

            Mine ended up having too many pleats/gathers than this one so it adds to the bulky look in the butt and front area i'm not a fan of, but I guess i'll just have to skinny up at the gym to solve that problem! :) it's way comfy and I like it other than that. :) I'm sure the person selling them on etsy did a way better job making it fit than I did.  I just sorta winged it and she has had a lot of practice and trial and error i'm sure to make hers as awesome as it looks. mine is just not quite there. looking at her pictures again, i'm sure I didn't do the bottom and top sections as wide as I should have either. that's enough of criticizing my work though!
UPDATE:
I ended up fixing the top by taking it apart and adding a whole separate casing to the top instead of folding the existing fabric over to make the casing. this added about 2" to the top and now it fits in the right place and feels much more attractive to wear.  I don't know if it's the most cute skirt I've ever worn, but it's so comfy and I don't have to worry the whole time i'm wearing it that it's riding up or showing stuff it shouldn't. There weren't too many pleats and everything turned out just right.  I LOVE IT! 

don't mind the elastic! it was pre completion! :) also remember I had a baby 3 months ago. SUCK IT IN! 




         One positive thing I did learn is how to do this awesome new thing called a Flat Fell Seam.  I found the instructions online and went to work.  It was way easier than I thought it would be and I love that you can find instructions on the internet for everything. :) oh yeah, and if you have gathers on the skirt like this one, you don't need to MAKE an A Line, the gathers make it for you, so your fabric just needs to be straight. Learned that the hard way. 

           I don't have a serger or anything like a fancy sewing machine.  Just my trusty old Kenmore that my dad bought at a garage sale when I was in high school and fixed up for me. That thing has taken a beating and still works like a charm.  Yes, I do wish I had a fancy new sewing machine and serger, but I make due and look how nice things still turn out. 


Good enough for me! 

        My next project was 2 dresses for my girls with the left over fabric. I used the pattern from Little Lizard King to make them and I LOVE how cute and simple and comfortable they look. I did these both after lunch. 

    This one is my 3 month old's dress. I made it in the smallest size I could (6-12 month) so it will be big on her but i'm not worried.  She is a chunk! :) I love the 3/4 length sleeves and the fabric.  I wish I would have bought a little more of the sleeve fabric.  I used it all up on this little dress.  I only got a 1/4 yard. 

         The fun thing about these sleeves is the elastic in the inside.  No casing needed and you can use a fun zig zag to put it in place.

              The next dress is my 3 year old's dress. She loves pockets and kept saying "I love your skirt Mommy" and "I love your pocket!" "Can you make me a skirt?"  I couldn't resist putting little pockets on it.   

I'm always blown away by what pretty girls I have!!! :) She even did this little pose on her own.  



1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness! How adorable! You did a great job and I love the fabric!!

    ReplyDelete