I keep thinking about the last time I used the bassinet and how much I was frustrated that everything I needed was in different places. Her lotion was in her room, diapers and wipes were in a jjcole box thing on the floor, burp rags were in her room and the changing pad was useless. Because we don't have a nursery set up for her yet (basement still being built) I wanted everything to be accessable when I needed it.
I saw this on etsy for sale and had a light bulb go off! http://www.etsy.com/listing/93623395/giraffe-stripe-and-dot-custom-diaper Keep in mind that hers is way stinking cute and the fabrics are adorable. I was trying to make this without spending a penny. I used scraps of fabric I had left over. I didn't even have any more fusible fleece, so I used blanket batting and some of those plastic children's placemats. I cut the placemats to the dimensions I wanted and sewed all around them so they couldn't slip around. It adds some stability that otherwise would have been there if I used the right materials in the first place. I lot more work than was needed, but that's just how I roll these days.
so mine doesn't look the prettiest, but it's functional like I wanted.
I even made a new sheet for her to match. If you can't tell in the picture, there is yellow and green in the fabrics used. If I was feeling really ambitious and wanted to spend the money, I would have recovered the whole bassinet too, but I didn't. I am really tired these days, grouchy, and want her out NOW!
to secure it to the side of the bed it's self, I used some clip things that were already being used for something useless on the bassinet. This helped so I didn't have to make button holes in the bedding to fit. Also, if I decide to keep the bassinet in a different spot than I planned, it's a piece of cake to move it to the other side or something.
I also made some newborn size bibs today. I want to be done sewing so badly but have one more thing I might do. Other than that... I need a break. sigh.
For the bibs, I just traced a bib I already had, added 1/4" seam allowance around it and used that for a pattern.