Friday, September 9, 2011

Making Pens!

     I just got back from my first vacation ever with my own little family. We went to Friday Harbor, WA to see my parents!!! What an awesome time we had relaxing and enjoying their company. The beauty of the island was just a bonus! Anyway, my dad is a really good wood craftsman, and I wish I had more time with him to learn more from him. Some of my fondest memories as a kid were hanging out in his shop with him talking and watching him work. He has recently discovered pen making with his wood lathe. He was so patient with me and my husband in teaching us how to work it. (It was not as easy as I thought it would be.) I think he has a way of making things look easy. That's what years of practice will do I guess!!!! :)  My pen is the dark one. I wanted it simple and small- my favorite part of it is the swirl on the top that is in the grain of the wood. This is a very hard wood and when it's all waxed up feels like BUTTA!!! I LOVE IT!!! I'm a little afraid to use it though, I might lose it!

THANK YOU DAD!!!